The Doctoral Program Biomedical Sciences is jointly offered by the Department of Veterinary Medicine and the Department of Biology, Chemistry, Pharmacy at Freie Universität Berlin. The program is a member program of Dahlem Research School (DRS),
The languages of instruction are German and English.
The program focuses on basic and applied research topics in the entire field of life sciences. It offers a wide spectrum of research areas ranging from the exploration of individual molecules with high bio- medical relevance via the discovery of mechanisms of infectious diseases to projects in step with current practice in areas like patient care and nutritional science.
The doctoral candidates are integrated in scientific projects related to the research conducted by the Departments of Biology, Chemistry, Pharmacy and the Department of Veterinary Medicine at Freie Universität Berlin.
Admission is restricted to those with external scholarships or within the framework of third-party-funded projects.
Current member-projects of doctoral program Biomedical Sciences are:
- IRTG of CRC 958 "Scaffolding of Membranes - Molecular Mechanisms and Cellular Functions"
- RTG "Innovations in the 3R Research – Genetic Engineering, Tissue Engineering and Bioinformatics"of Berlin-Brandenburg research platform BB3R
- RTG „Parasite Infections: From Experimental Models to Natural Systems"
- ZIBI Graduate School Berlin
- TRR CRC "Innate Immunity of the Lung: Mechanisms of Pathogen Attack and Host Defence in Pneumonia"
The doctoral program Biomedical Sciences is financed by Freie Universität Berlin, the DFG and other external partners.
Prof. Dr Achim Gruber, PhD Angela Daberkow programme Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft
life sciences, infectious diseases
Department of Veterinary Medicine
Oertzenweg 19 b